This time of year can be challenging with conflicting priorities, unrealistic expectations and feelings of loss and disconnection. There’ll be readings, candle lighting, prayer, singing and Holy Communion. Step away from the chaos and come as you are for for this special Service of Light & Hope.
December 24 7 PM
Looking for an inclusive Christian community that walks their talk? Join us for our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. There’ll be guest musicians, special music by our own choir, candle lighting and Holy Communion. Come as you are for you are welcome here!
Confluence LGBT Chorus from Willamette Valley performs right here at Bridgeport United Church of Christ. Creating Peace: With Light conducted by artistic director Raymond Elliott and pianist Stephanie Lynne Smith.
General Admission $15.00
Seniors and Students $12.00
(for other dates and times see the Confluence website )
Bridgeport will be assisting AID North West by collecting and donating winter coats. These coats will be distributed by AID NW to immigrants released from the NorthWest Detention Center in Tacoma. Upon release, detainees do not have warm clothing and the warm coats that AID NW provides them are very needed. Please bring either new or slightly used warm winter coats or jackets to Bridgeport by November 23, 2017. More menʻs coats are needed than womenʻs and the ideal size is medium.
Talk to Michele Alderson or Karen Miller for more information.
to learn more about the AID NW programs see:
Cabins, Forest, Food, Arts & Crafts, Fun! Join your church family for the weekend at Camp Adams October 20-22nd. We will bring a potluck dish for dinner on Friday night, with meals provided by the camp staff Saturday and Sunday breakfast. Cost per person is $51. There will be scholarships available. If you haven't already signed up, let Judy know at 503-312-3470 or email@example.com.
Bridgeport UCC is organizing an Interfaith Caravan from Vancouver, WA to the NORCOR Regional Correction Facility in The Dalles on Saturday, September 30, 2017.
Information that will help you if you are planning to join us:
1. NORCOR is about 90 minutes from Portland. We will meet for the Caravan at Highland UCC, 7600 NE Glisan St., Portland OR. Turn off NE Glisan at NE 78th turn right into parking lot behind the Church. We will meet in the parking lot at 8:30 (to give enough time to gather, drive new routes, and be on time for Vigil.)
2. The Gorge ICE Resistance Vigils start at 11am at NORCOR each day of weekend. We will pick up signs in parking lot and share our thoughts about the NORCOR Facility and what the conditions are for the immigrants who are picked up and kept at NORCOR.
3. Bring water and appropriate clothing for the weather, it could be windy or cool—layer so you are ready.
4. We invite you and your friends to join us for our caravan on Sept. 30. Please reply ASAP to: Patricia Cornman-Wilcox, Bridgeport UCC, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Thank you for joining in this important movement that supports immigrants in this difficult and stressful time! Thank you for your attention. Looking forward to your replies whether you and your friends and families will be joining in this interfaith immigration event.
Patricia Cornman-Wilcox, Justice and Sanctuary Team
Happy Birthday to US!! Bridgeport UCC turns 19 and we'll celebrate this week in worship and with a picnic afterwards.
Rev. Tara and the Worship/Music Teams have prepared a special service for this Holy ending to Eastertide as we celebrate the birth of the church. Come and break bread, sing, pray and fellowship together! Come and BE the church!! Don't forget to wear RED!
Picnic afterward: Everyone is invited to thehome of Ginny & Dan Laferriere for a picnic with outdoor and board games. Please bring something to share and whatever meat you would like for the grill.
Rain Garden Workshop
Learn how to build a rain garden! A rain garden is a sunken garden bed that captures stormwater, and allows it to soak into the ground naturally. You will learn step-by-step details on how to plan, design and build your own rain garden.
Register online at: www.emswcd.org/workshops
Brought to you by East Multnomah Soil and Conservation District
Hosted by Bridgeport United Church of Christ
Come hear Soraya Deen, founder of the Muslim Women Speakers Movement and co-founder of Peacemoms (Promoting Christian/Muslim Dialogue). She is a spiritual activist, lawyer, certified Nonviolent Parent Educator and author of Peace Matters - Raising Peace Conscious Children. Her vision is to create 10,000 voices of hope. She encourages Muslim women and women of all faiths to promote interfaith dialogue, and engage in social change.
This event is hosted by Congregation Shir Tikvah, Bridgeport United Church of Christ, and Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
In response to the nomination of white supremacists to the cabinet of the president, the practice of anti-racism becomes even more critical in our physical and spiritual communities. Utilizing the tools and resources created by the national UCC, work to learn and personally understand the following, chapter by chapter:
- The Spiritual Autobiography Told Through the Lens of Race
- Whiteness as the Norm: Five Loci of Insights on the Binary of Light/Dark and Black/White
- The Cash Value of Whiteness or Whiteness as a Tax-Exempt Status
- On Becoming an Ally
Facilitated by Molli Mitchell, MSSW
Note: This study meets weekly, every Thursday, from 3/2 to 4/6. Attend all or one, but please RSVP at https://goo.gl/forms/GkPezc7VlrnpT9JC3 to attend.